Saturday, August 25, 2012

How I became a Yonsei Student...

Today was orientation day for Yonsei exchange.
It was basically talk after talk after talk, after talk. We wondered when it'll all end, and everybody was either restless in their seat, or dozing off.

Walking to school was really a huge pain every single time.

We made it in time, and saw a lot of people at the centennial hall... And there were queues all around. So people were either queueing up to sign up for day trips (City tour or Gyeongbuk Palace) or to get their student cards.
Most people were queueing for their cards, and the queue was way too long. I suspect there to be some sort of administrative malfunction...?
Well anyway, the day trips cost money to go. Since I've been to Gyeongbuk Palace twice, I definitely did not sign up for that one (5,000 won!). And after taking a look at the City Tour, which brings us to a few attractions and some shopping areas, I decided against it as well since it costs like 30,000 won!

To be frank, I'd much rather just go visit those places at my own time. But it's just that not going for those trips might make me lose out on interaction with people around me, but that's okay. I'm pretty with hanging out with my mentor cell group (which I will talk about soon enough.).

Well, anyway there were too many people queueing for their student cards. Time was really running out as they were going to start their orientation talks. So they just gave everyone else an orientation packet first and ushered us into the hall, telling us we could collect our cards after the talks.

They had a lot of talks and videos, and to be honest, the speakers like to repeat stuff. They kept repeating briefs and summaries of Yonsei's history, and after some time, most of us were thinking 'get to the main point already!'
There were three sections to the talks the entire day.

First was the pure administrative talks including like visa matters, so that was pretty informative, not counting the repetitive information about Yonsei.
Then we had a break for lunch, which I met Rekha and Alithea and spent some time at Sinchon. We had lunch at my recommended place Tomato Kimbap! Glad that they like the food there, especially the quail eggs for the side dish!

We walked back for the second portion, which included a talk from a current exchange student, a medical/health talk, and a Seoul Global Center talk, and student life talks, and... you get the idea. I spent most of the time chatting and catching up with Rekha. ^_^ Occasionally we'd look up to get the main points of the talk.

They also had a Kpop dance performance, which Rekha gave hilarious commentaries to.

And after that we had the campus tour.
Campus tour... this reminds me of the day I first met Seungik. Really such a coincidence! And the campus tour he gave was really good too, like I could make out a mental map of routes around school and all (even though he didn't really talk to the rest of the group...)

And from prior experience, groups were either split by number or alphabet. So we all had different alphabets on our orientation packs right? I assumed they were for the campus tour group since they had spent much effort labeling their packs. But no! The campus tour groups were split by the area which we were seated at during the talks! -_-

And the campus tour was not really comprehensive this time because Yonsei was too big and too hilly, and their buildings were all scattered. So we were only brought around the front of the school, and to a few places. Pretty awkward, in my opinion?
First stop, Theology building! We were introduced to the facilities inside, and from there our tour guide just pointed around and told us the names of buildings that were visible from that spot.
We then moved on to look at Underwood's statue. This place is right smack in the middle of the forked roads from the main gate. And we all stood to take a picture and all. Rekha and I took one~
And ta-dah! Our tour ended just like that, and everyone walked back to SK Global House. At least on the way back I found a shortcut and all. Went back to rest before the Mentors Club programme later in the evening.

Mentors Club programme was better, I guess. It was run by students so there weren't that much talking. When I entered the building for the event, the first person I saw was obviously my mentor-buddy Joon Young (or he calls himself Francis.).. It was so obvious that even Rekha who only say his facebook profile picture recognized him. But he didn't recognize me anyway. -_-

So we went in and we were given a bottle of water and a rice cake for snack. Sat at the place for Cell 11. Alone! So awkward!
After some briefings, the cell leader Joayeon brought us all out to Sinchon area to have dinner together. We ate at 하늘본닭. Which was almost the same as Yoogane. I sat at the table with Amber, Alvin, and Fay. We were all from different countries! Amber from the States, Alvin from Philippines, and Fay from England! We had quite a fun time talking and sharing.

We first had a chicken set that the mentors ordered for us, but Fay doesn't eat meat so she sat there looking at us eat ): Eventually she ordered a bowl of rice and ate it slowly. Then two pepsis came along, and there was even a bottle of soju.

They were all good drinkers so... we poured everybody a shot. (First round)
My second time trying soju, but the first time was when my Mum was around and I didn't even finish the entire shot. But this time, I did.
I actually quite like the taste of soju. But I am not good at all with alcohol so it isn't something I'd want to drink. Though social situations like these lets me have a taste.

I was doubtful about finishing the shot, but everyone just drank! So I drank it too. My largest mouth of alcohol, ever.

One shot later and I can feel my cheeks and ears start to turn red. It didn't even take long. O_O
So I got a little worried.

And then they poured another shot afterwards, and oh my... I could feel it getting to my brain. Terrible terrible feeling. So I just drank lots of water afterwards.

Just then, a plate of rice came to be added to the pan. We all stared at it like 'oh no... no way!'
We couldn't even finish it! We ate a few bites and couldn't take it anymore. We didn't even order it.
And at the end of it, we had to pay for it too. -_- Seriously, we could do without the fried rice!

It started drizzling after we left the restaurant for BarFly, where the partyparty was to be held. It was compulsary for us to get ourselves a drink, though entrance is free. I couldn't take anymore alcohol so I headed back first.

It was a tough walk back. Walked super fast because I was alone and when I'm alone I walk damn fast. Haha!

Came back to I-House to rest before showering and whatnot...

Internet at Yonsei is really terrible! Yesterday the wifi was totally non-functional. Couldn't even enter my id and password. It was obviously the correct combination but it says it's wrong!

And to make things worse, I was oovoo-ing and suddenly the internet just shut. Pages couldn't load even though it says connected to internet. Lies!

So I reluctantly called it a night and went to sleep.

Before I end off this post, a smile for you!
Thanks for reading! I will try to bring you another post today, alright? I try! If not stay tuned because even if I don't blog for a day, I do double posts the next day!

Love you all my readers! <3

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I know your posts about Yonsei were ages ago but I wanna ask something about Yonsei's Mentors' Club! Are the mentors really helpful and are there mentors for summer school students? Or do the mentors just go out with you for like a week and leave you alone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi chance upon the blog. Are you going for Yonsei exchange this year too?

      Delete