Monday, July 23, 2012

Looking back...

To be honest, nothing very interesting happened today. I just went to school for class as usual...

Social Psychology was talking about attractiveness today, and it was the most interesting lecture I had today. Basically, Prof. talked about the researches done on physical attractiveness. He mentioned that done on a cross-cultural state, one of the factors for attractiveness is darker skin.

At this moment, Shireen and I looked at each other, smiled, and gave each other a high-five.
-Aww.... yeah!-

Developmental psychology was about adolescence and puberty. Kinda have heard about this many times... So, wasn't very interesting. Except for when he talked about Anorexia and Bulimia. Thought that was really interesting.

Media was about Broadcasting in Korea, which was quite an interesting topic. Learnt more about how the broadcasting systems developed in Korea. Pretty darn cool.

But the bad part is that we have an assignment coming up, and my group hasn't decided on a topic yet >.<

Thanks to Victoria who 'had to' rush off for her shuttle bus back to CJ at 4.30pm. Seriously?! -,-

Just went back straight to Frontier House after that... And studied my main materials so I can continue my Korean Language self-study in the night.

Went through a lot of chapters today, not sure if I can remember everything. C'mon brain, just eat it all up nomnomnom...

Someday, I will start deciphering 어린왕자... Actually these few days I keep re-reading Chapter 1, until I make sure I understand everything fully without help. -Determined-

But since there isn't anything interesting to write about today, I shall tell y'all about why I chose to come to Korea...

It all started more than 2 years ago, when Angela and I have graduated from High School. So we were looking for places to travel to for our graduation trip. I voted Japan, because it seemed like a good choice and I haven't been to Tokyo during my exchange and science fair programme the previous time.

But the cost, was just too high. We wanted to go to somewhere with snow, and Angela said, 'Why not...Korea?'

At that moment, I was a little apprehensive because to be honest, I was self-studying Japanese at that time, and haven't paid much attention to Korea at all! Even if I do watch Korean dramas, I watch it with Chinese dub. But... Angela was pretty excited about it so I was like, yeah, okay let's give this a try.

So it is, in the March of 2010, I went to Korea not knowing a single thing about it.

Making Kimchi for the first time without even know how to write '김치'... With pretty bestie Angela!
Mt. Sorak with the awesomest tour group ever! Everybody was so cooperative and friendly and happy and it made us all very happy ^^ Climbing Mt. Sorak during winter, not knowing how cold it could get up there...
Jackie, our awesome and caring and funny tour guide~ Who played the most important role in making me love Korea so much...

I went there not knowing a single thing, and he spoke so much about culture and history, that at the end of my trip, I told myself that this is the place to be. I like the people and the culture here, I like the seasons, I like the food. And entering NUS, I decided that I would try for an exchange programme with a Korean university.

I wasn't swayed by K-pop, like most people would be. I was inspired by a country with a rich culture, a rich history, and the love of the people. Without knowing its language, I purely experienced Korea for the first time as a blank state.

In fact, it was so enjoyable that I convinced my Mum to go on a second trip with me.
Mummy and I at Jeju's 성산일출봉 (Seongsan Sunrise Peak)... December 2011 - January 2012.
We spent our New Year's Day over in Korea, and at that time I was wishing for luck so that I can study in Korea!

And true to my words to her, she really enjoyed herself here!

And now, here I am, fulfilling my smaller dream of getting to study here. (:

Of course, being here would be impossible without the help of Jessie 선생님 who taught me Korean for 6 months, and is still constantly helping me... And my Korean classmates, without whom I wouldn't have the courage to embark on my dream.

Of course, also, mummy and daddy for spending a fortune on me, and also for their moral support.
I know y'all are used to me not being at home (seriously!) but yea, thanks for letting me go overseas on my own! Immense trust!

I feel really happy being here (:

I think it'd be better without the stresses of mapping my modules back, but whatever! Things will go smoothly, I pray, and I know.

And last but not least, thank you readers for following me on my Korea Adventures, haha! ^^
사랑해요!

I had this blog, initially, to see how far I can get with my dreams. And now that I have taken a big step as a student, I am writing to help my juniors if they do want to experience Korea from a student's point of view.

At the same time, helping tourists everywhere with my limited information...
And also to log my journeys...

As for my buddy 승익 오빠, thanks for all your (ongoing) help, really appreciates loads, and I hope that when you go for your exchange, you'll be as excited and happy as I am ^.^

Hehe~

It's getting kinda long... So before I go, a smile for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment