Saturday, September 15, 2012

연고전! Yon-Ko Games~

It's finally here, the clash of the Titans, the sports games between two rivalry schools in Korea - Yonsei University and Korea University.

Being a student from both sides, currently in Yonsei, it was a really confusing moment. Honestly speaking. Yonsei calls it Yon-Ko games, and KU called is Ko-yon games. But according to JoonYoung my Yonsei buddy, he tells me that every year the official name changes, alternating between the two... And this year it's Yon-ko Games!

So yes, the games started yesterday, Friday. The only free day I have for the week where I could sleep in, I found myself waking up earlier than usual to get to the Yonko Games at Jamsil Sports Complex. The place is amazing!
They had a pretty cool opening ceremony and they had the flag team on the field doing a cheer too!

The first game to be played was baseball, and I was pretty excited about it because there is never a chance for baseball in Singapore. I actually pretty like the gameplay too (:

We went there and we were given some freebies, a cap, a bottle of coffee, two breads, and later in the day we even had lunch. Well anyway it was a mess when we got there! ):
We went with the mentors club and apparently we have seats reserved for us, but once we entered the stadium we were just left standing there along the aisles! Some students were ushered into the seats but I think they realized there weren't enough seats. So what did they do? Leave us there.

We stood there with no seats, couldn't find the Mentors Club flag, didn't know who were the buddies, and basically walked around trying to find empty seats because people kept reserving empty seats. In the end, Ian and I just found some other exchange students and sat with them at a row nobody sat in. Fortunately, MinJae (Rekha's buddy whom I know too) walked around and found me with Ian and the rest. He immediately went to find where the group is and managed to get seats with the rest of the mentors club people for us. Thank goodness for MinJae, seriously.

So after that we stood there and cheered our hearts out. Kudos to the cheerleading team because they were amazing, they kept our energy at a perpetual high and didn't know tiredness. They just kept going on, cheering their hearts out for our players.
Well, umm... KU played splendidly, while Yonsei was... not very spectacular. Sorry, have to be honest here. Even though Ian and I were trying o figure our baseball rules and scoring while watching, we could still see the difference in play, and Yonsei's turn to score always lasted a short time. ):

So at the end..
KU won with 3, and Yonsei only managed to get 1. The way they played, you can still see that KU performed much better.

I was kind of sad that Yonsei lost, being a Yonsei student now... But since I am just an exchange student, and I've received lots from KU before during summer...
No matter what the outcome, I would still have enjoyed myself and be happy for whichever school that won!

I didn't go for the basketball match after the baseball games because I didn't have tickets for that. Tara went, and told me that we lost the basketball match as well..

And later in the evening, we were informed that Yonsei won ice hockey!!!
W00ts!! I always though KU's ice hockey would be better since they had their own ice rink and could probably manage more practices and whatnot, but nevertheless, good job Team Yonsei~!!

AKARAKA~!!
사랑한다 연세~ 내 가슴속에 영원히 남을 사랑이어라~!

So yeah, it was a really good and touching experience (:

How I really wished my home school had such school spirit, talking about school spirit and not faculty spirit only... I don't think Singapore schools ever fostered such a thing though, and that's really sad.

I'm gonna have those cheer songs stuck in my head for a long time to come...

연대 화이팅!
고대 화이팅!

Smile!

1 comment:

  1. Great post!! Keep up the good work - I'm sure someday soon, someone will be doing an Ada Lovelace post about you
    baseball in singapore

    ReplyDelete