Friday, July 20, 2012

Field Trip to SBS (Seoul Broadcasting System)~!!

My schedule today got screwed up a little because I had to wake up earlier than usual and Cassie doesn't really like waking up earlier than usual... But well, since it's for the field trip to SBS later, I don't mind!

(Hey, Singaporeans, the SBS isn't SBS Transit, okay.... Haha!)

Had a test for developmental psychology first thing in the morning. Didn't really like the paper >.< So tricky!

And then had social psychology class with Shireen, which was pretty interesting. Learnt more about group dynamics.


After that, I had a quick lunch with Shireen before heading to Media Hall to board the bus to SBS.
Sat with Victoria on the bus. She couldn't fall asleep during the ride coz she says it made her dizzy... So she actually stayed awake for the entire ride there... Poor you ):

The SBS that we went to is at Ilsan, which films dramas. There is another branch and Mokdong, which is more happening as they do more stuff there. But apparently, Mokdong's isn't as big as Ilsan's, so we had to go to Ilsan's due to our group size.


And, we're going in! Everyone was pretty excited actually. So we met this Assistant Director Nam, who is actually a friend of Prof. It's pretty cool, don't you think? Another perk of being a media and communications major... To have director friends and all... (:

Today's studio schedule~ I'm sorry I don't know the English/Chinese names of all...
But 유령's English name is 'Ghost'...

The rest, I don't know...

So we visited studio A and studio B, as well as Studio G.

It's really VERY interesting to see the sets there! Everytime we watch dramas we assume that they had a place rented out and all that kinda stuff, but really! The sets are very well made (:

Can see our fascinated faces. You never knew what's up there, do you? Now you do! Lights, lights, and more lights...


Realistic sets, right? Anyway I think the first two are from 그래도 당신... Does anyone find it familiar?

Oh yea, we also learnt that due to lack of space and the massive number of dramas, the staff have to come in to set everything up the night before... And after shooting is done for the day, everything has to be dismantled and taken down! D:

And also, another shocking fact I learnt, they film the day's episode on the day itself! For example, if they have to air an episode this evening, they would be shooting it today morning to afternoon-ish! So they are actually editing on the spot, doing audio checks on the spot, and all that... Really quick!
Super amazed, really...

And even restaurants you see in the dramas, no, they don't use real restaurants. They make their own restaurants. Awesome, no? Imagine the amount of detail they have to check everytime!

Our prof was also very excited to see the sets, he took pictures of a few, and he even took a picture of himself on the set! XD

The court, apparently used in many dramas before, or at least two. This court is used in 요령, as well as another drama that I forgot which...

And this office thing that is also used in 유령, this set got our prof all excited, he kinda ran to it to take a look, haha! If you watch the drama, then this should be a very well-known place! (:

All these sets, have to be painstakingly crafted from wood...

We were also brought to this long corridor, and we were told that the long corridor was used for filming too!
Sorry, it's blurrrr.... But you see those pink doors at the side? Those are actually fake doors. When they're opened, it's the wall. But you see, they will cut the scene at the door, then continue with the scene of the person entering, but into the set! Smart, right? ^^

Can you imagine, say... a hospital corridor like this? Or a long office corridor? (:

We also visited a few of the control rooms for on-the-spot editing, as well as editing suites...
 This room is the control room where they can see the working cameras, and basically it's where all the directors will be sitting. They can pick and choose which camera's angles they want to be included and do it right away!
Cool!
And this is the editing suite, where editors have to spend their entire days... This occurs most often when they use the studio with no affixed cameras or lightings, and not equipped with a control room (I guess.)... But also heard that sometimes only one camera is used because they require more sophisticated lighting and stuff, and this causes the additional need to refilm a scene, or to use the editing suite.

We didn't see any celebrities, anyway... Prof explained that because people are here for specific purposes - to film a drama on the set. So they don't really move around the buildings, around the hallways... Even the editors are cooped up in their suites.

But it was a really insightful trip! I've only ever known video from a super amateur point of view, and everything is so fascinating!

Anyway the trip ended after about an hour or so. We were given a souvenir each.
It is a box of pens, with SBS printed on it. Yay for merchandise! 

We then went to take a group photo before heading back... Victoria and I took photo with Director Nam!
Be famous yo! Then we can boast this even more next time! :')
And thank you for the wonderful SBS tour! 

Oh yeah, some posters of the shows that were being filmed.... Do you recognize any?

I have S-One at home on cable TV, but my Mum is the one who watches these dramas... Do you recognize these shows, Mum? O.o

Thus ends my long-awaited trip...

Well, I went back to Frontier, did my laundry, had dinner, then went out to Myeongdong to enjoy the busy streets.
Despite my smile, it was kinda awkward for me to take a photo like that in public at Myeongdong. But well, who knows, anyway...Haha..

I ended up buying a few Etude house masks coz they felt really good the last time I tried. Walked around SPAO for a bit too. I wanted to see if I could get a shirt similar to the bunny one I bought from SPAO the other time, but they're not there anymore! I only walked around the first level though. Maybe they got shifted to the higher floors...

And now I'm back at Frontier, pretty tired out actually. Tomorrow's temple stay is cancelled, so I expect myself to sleep in! Hooray! 

Before I go,
A smile for you! I hope today's pictures kinda make up for the past few posts without much pictures... 

Thank you all my readers! I love you!

5 comments:

  1. I recognise some of the sets, esp the one from 유령! since im watching it..Anyway, yup, nowadays dramas are filmed during the day and edited quickly to be aired at night...some PD fainted bcos of this....Hmm you dun recognise the corridor? its from 런닝맨! The one where Jong Kook chased down others, the recent ep 102 was also filmed here i think. The part where Jaesuk and Gwangsoo was playing with the "magical" door :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO COOL! =) Gahs, I wish I had gone to korea for summer too =<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, this is Catherine. My friends and I am going to Korea next month and we wish to visit to SBS Studio too. Is there any permission needed in order to enter to there for visiting? Can you advise us on the procedure and how to apply it? Thanks.

    Appreciate on your kind help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. may i know how did you make the appointment to pay a visit to SBS? Any contact or email? could you please let me know? Thank you very much. by Wai Hoe (hoe316@gmail.com).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also want to go korea with my boyfriend to join in our show for the sbs running man show, as our plan for name tag eilmation. As we are here for our korea tour

    ReplyDelete