Friday, June 29, 2012

Getting a prepaid SIM card in Korea!

After being here for about 5 days, I finally got my prepaid SIM card in Korea!

Following a guide (http://singaporeaninkorea.blogspot.kr/2011/04/life-in-korea-getting-phone-line.html), I went ahead and got my own number too. However, there were a few tips I'd like to add, so let's go!

Firstly, you cannot get a prepaid SIM card when you've JUST entered Korea. This is because you need to give the goverment/immigrations some time to enter your records into their big system. This 'registration' does not require any effort on your part except to wait for it to be done. It will take about 3 to 5 days. So before that, do not waste your efforts going to either the phone company or the bank to register for anything. It doesn't matter if you have a visa or not.

So I did my waiting and today (my 5th day in Korea), I went to buy my prepaid SIM.

Preparation:
What you need to bring along!
1. Money - The cost of the card is about 5,500 won, and you have to top up a minimum of 10,000 won on the spot. More is welcomed too.
2. Passport!
3. Phone you intend to use the number on, and its IMEI number. If you are iPhone user, the IMEI is already inside the phone information, so no worries there.


ONE: (Destination - Olleh Square)
Take the subway line to Gwanghuamun and follow the exit leading to Korea Telecommunications Building. Once you exit from the subway station, the building on your right is the building you are looking for, and it looks like this:

After you recognize the building, the next thing you should look for is this entrance shown in the picture above. Yes, recognize the rotating doors. Enter.

Note! If you want to take bus to this area, make sure the bus goes to Sejong Center for Performing Arts. Cross the road from there, and you'll see Olleh Square.

TWO: (Getting the SIM)
You should see a cozy cafe-like place inside. Turn right and walk towards the place with counters. There will be service staff there issuing queue numbers, so tell him/her that you want to buy a prepaid SIM card and you'll be given a queue number.

Don't worry because there are English-speaking staff there! And their forms are in English too (:

The staff will explain to you the plans available. For prepaid, there are three different plans: Standard, and two others which names I forget.

The only difference between the three plans is the price per minute of calls. Otherwise, other usages are the same pricing. Apart from standard, they will charge per day. Which means that even though your price per minute for calls is lower than standard pricing, there is a fee deducted everyday even if you don't use the line. So for low usage users like me, Prepaid Standard would suffice.

And nowadays, who doesn't use 3G for on-the-go internet access right?
Good news! With Prepaid SIM you are able to use their 3G network! However, everything comes with a price. For each 0.5KB of 3G usage, 0.28 won (yes you saw it right, there is a decimal point.) will be deducted.

Each prepaid SIM will last 3 months if you top-up 10,000 won on the spot. Topping up more amounts will lengthen its lifespan.

Fill in some forms, sign a few times, and congratulations! You are now the proud owner of a Korean mobile phone number!


7 comments:

  1. Hi Cassie. Are you using iphone 4/4s in Korea?
    It is a must for the mobilephone to be 'unlocked' model?
    Thanks, Beatrice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was using an iPhone 4S in Korea (: You have to ensure that your phone is unlocked for Korea. It shouldn't be a problem if you're using an iPhone though! Sometimes you may need to check with your telecom company...

      Delete
    2. Hi Cassie,

      Do you mean iphones from Singapore are already unlocked? I'm currently using an iphone4 (my telco is M1). Also, if my study period in Korea is approx 2 years, I'd have to top up at least 10,000 every 3 months?

      Thanks,
      Kay

      Delete
    3. Hi Kay,

      Yes, I was using iPhone4 from Singapore and it is unlocked for use in Korea (: They will renew your number expiry date upon each topup.. I can't remember offhand how long for how much money you reload, but I'd say about there. Hope it helps and sorry for the late reply.

      Cassie

      Delete
    4. Hi Cassie,

      Thanks for the info! I guess Korea's prepaid SIM card is similar to Singapore's :)

      Kay

      Delete
  2. Hi Cassie,

    I planning to use my friends Iphone 4s. Now, I need to get a sim card for the phone.I'd like to know about the monthly charges they offer. I heard about this 10000 Won a month with SK, I hope Olleh offers the same service. I just arrived three weeks ago here in Korea and I always look forward to something cheap. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks...

    Yan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cassie,
    I have a quick question and i am planning to use my iphone 5 in korea for about 2 months. However the phone is locked to verizon under a 2 year contract. Does this mean it is not possible for me to get a pre paid sim card?
    Thanks
    Danny

    ReplyDelete