Thursday, February 14, 2013

Welcome home to Singapore?

This is long overdue but I am finally back in Singapore after half a year abroad in the lovely land of Korea.

To summarize my feelings, I still love Korea more. I had time to myself, I felt good about myself, and I learnt so much about myself while over there. This, I will never get to experience ever again.

But anyway, I stepped on Singapore ground again on 4 Jan 2013. It was already midnight by then, and XingCai and Lyn were with me. Since it was late, my Dad was nice enough to send them home in our car. So we were waiting outside at the entrance to the terminal, where the cars can stop to pick people up.

We were just chatting as we were waiting for my Dad to drive to us, and of course, because we're humans we move around as we talk.

When all of a sudden, as I was back-facing the entrance, someone exited with their airport cart and almost crashed into me. Fortunately, XingCai saw and pulled me away from its path. Accident evaded, and you'd think it was the end of it.

I actually wanted to turn around and apologize to the person pushing the cart. But before I could finish my sentence, he exclaimed in his righteous voice, 'Shouldn't be standing at the entrance, yo.'

-_- A simple 'excuse me' would have sufficed.
Yet he chose to lecture me as though he wasn't in the wrong at all. If I was in plain view, he could have taken evasive measures to avoid collision. Put it this way, the entrance is really wide, and I'm a really slim person. I can't possibly block the entire entrance with my presence.

Also, he has an open MacBook at the top compartment of his cart/trolley.
He was looking at his computer, using it while pushing his cart. Please now tell me how that give him privileges and right of way?
If you're pushing your cart, then look where you're going. The cart isn't a bulldozer you use to ram others down like some arcade game.

All in all, I just really felt the coldness in Singapore during my first moments back here. It doesn't matter that it is forever summer here or that I just returned from a -17 deg Celcius climate, Singapore was just cold to me at that moment.

Imagine if I were a tourist to Singapore, and some Singaporean decides to be big-mouthed and did whatever that guy did. I would definitely have a bad impression on the people here.

Because really, it still stand that an 'excuse me' would suffice. I would have turned around to apologize and there would be two happy people around.

Not saying that all Singaporeans are bad. I know many many Singaporeans who are really kind and polite. However, people tend to remember the bad and forget the good. I'm sure we can all play a small part to keep whatever fury we have in us, and be more tolerable to others, and not be quick to reprimand others. Especially when it was a situation where one could have done something to avoid it totally.

I just hope tourists in Singapore don't face such people. There are kind Singaporeans out there. Don't let the mean ones taint your view on Singaporeans.

2 comments:

  1. Hello there!

    I just wanted to say thank you for keeping this blog :) I just found it today, and it was super helpful! I leave in 3 days to study at Yonsei Uni for 6 months and hearing your stories kind of prepared me for this big adventure!

    I'm sorry about your poor-mannered American roommate :/ I'm from the States and I can tell you that most Americans behave like that as roommates, it's sad, really. But despite that it sounds like you had a wonderful time! I'm hoping I can have just as much fun as you did :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there (: Thank you! Hope you enjoy your time in Korea and Yonsei! (: I'm sure you'll have a great time!

      Delete